Friday, April 17, 2015

Time to Plant


This is one of my favorite times of the year, planning and planting my garden so I thought I would make a planting block. You can use flower appliques for flower seeds, or whatever seeds you like to plant. Look for veggie or flower fabric where they are about 2-3 inches in size to fit on my packet I have done here. Now it's time to plant!





Materials List for one block

~10-1/2" mottled sandy-beige background square
~Cut 4~ 3-3/4" x 5-1/2" cotton print fabric two for each seed packet (Only 1 seed packet fabric and fusible shown above)
~Cut 2~ 3-3/4" x 5" Medium weight fusible, one for each packet
~Fat quarter of vegetable print for vegetable appliques
~Small amount paper-back fusible (not shown)
~9" square of tear away stabilizer(not shown in picture above)
~Black permanent fabric marker
~Black or brown beads medium in size
~regular coordinating thread
~optional invisible thread


To make one seed packet
Iron 3-3/4" x 5" fusible, bumpy side down onto wrong side of packet print. Matching only bottom edge.



Fold over 1/2" top edge as shown and press. This will be the front of the packet.


Fold down 1/2" top edge of back of packet to wrong side and press as shown.


Place packet front and back with right sides together and pin leaving top with folded down edges open.


Sew a 1/4 inch seam along outside of packet, leaving top open.


Clip off both corners at bottom edge, about 1/8 inch from point of stitching.


Turn right side out through top opening, carefully push out bottom corners, and press.



Hand sew about 2 inches of top opening closed. Depending which way you want to tip your packet will determine what side you want to sew closed.




Cut around the veggies you want on your packet.



Iron on a small piece of paper-backed fusible.


Cut out veggies eliminating excess fabric.


Place veggies on front of packet, placement is your choice, but I put them on the lower half of packet. Press in place.


Stitch veggies down around edges. I use a free-motion foot with invisible thread.


Looks like this!



Using the black permanent fabric pen, write the name of the veggie on the top part of your fabric seed packet. Now make one more with a different Veggie!


Position packets on background square. I put them at an angle, like you would be pouring out the seeds. Pin in place.




Sew on the very edge of the packets leave opening on both packets that you didn't hand sew closed open. I used open toe foot with invisible thread.


With black thread sew the beads coming out of the opening in the top and down to the ground.



You can use as many seeds as you want, just enough to show the seeds spilling out into the earth.  If you are going to make several of these blocks for a wall hanging or quilt, I recommend adding beads after the quilt is together.

I hope you enjoyed making this block! If you have any questions or comments please contact me via contact form at top or e-mail me at seastar42@msn.com

Thanks for stopping by Damsel

Thread Painted Lady Slippers

Walking through the woods in New Hampshire when I was young, I would come upon beautiful pink lady slippers! I was told never pick them be...