Thursday, July 31, 2014

Tomato Block


After spending the day making tomato sauce from beautiful tomatoes I plucked from the garden, I decided to make a tomato block. This block is raw edge applique~

Tomato Block ~ 1 square 10~1/2  inches for background 
(I chose a tomato print by Debbie Mumm)
                           ~Square 10 inch scrap of mottled reddish pink                                    fabric with paper back fusible applied
                            ~Small scrap green print with paper backed                                       fusible applied
                            ~decorative threads for machine applique

 Print out provided pattern and place pattern on paper side of fabric, draw tomatoes onto reddish fabric, and stems onto green.
Cut out and peel off paper.
Place in position using my block as a guide.
Iron in place.
Use coordinating decorative thread and machine applique in place.





Fresh lovely tomatoes I picked from the garden.



I use a chinois to extract all the goodness from the tomatoes. I use this as a base for my sauce.
                                                                                                                                                                I add crushed tomatoes,paste, garlic, fresh basil, parsley, and oregano.
Then I can the sauce in a hot water bath.
This way we can enjoy this sauce all winter long!
                                                                                             


Tomato and Stem patterns
Print out full page


Any questions contact me at seastar42@msn.com 
Thanks for looking!
Damsel


Sing Bluebird Sing!

Raw edge applique Bluebird Block You can find this Block here: https://www.craftsy.com/quilting/patterns/sing-b...