Sunday, February 26, 2012

RAGGEDY DOLL RESCUE! The Tale of Nick and Nora


Meet Nick and Nora!  
They didn't always look like this; they had to undergo a doll face transplant,hand lift, and hair plugs! Sounds like a lot for a doll to take, but they pulled through just fine and have been enjoying life together with their new and improved look! This is how it all began...........

Early one morning my husband and I decided to go to the local Flea Market; not looking for anything specific, we wandered about up and down each row when I discovered these sad-looking Raggedy dolls. They were in pretty bad shape; their faces and  hands were filthy, hair tattered, and their clothes smelled musty.

I picked them up, put them down and walked away, and began looking at other things. I then wandered back and  picked them up again and thought to myself; what would be the point in buying these poor dolls, they are beyond my help; or were they? I proceeded to put them down again; my husband was watching me the whole time and went over picked them up and asked the lady vendor how much? She said $10. He looked at me and said "do you want them", the dolls cried out to me, "please say YES!" So I bought them!

I got them home and just decided I was going to wash them! They had to be washed; that musty smell had to go! I sprayed them top to bottom, (feet that is) with laundry stain remover, extra on the dirty face and hands, and threw them in the washer,clothes and all  and turned it to hot wash.

To my horror when they came out, their faces were ripped beyond repair. The hands still looked awful, the hair worse but smell better, the clothes and body were OK.


So I ripped off the face and was glad there was another layer of fabric underneath, from that point I was thinking face transplant.

After tattered face was removed.
Relaxing before reconstruction!

So I then started the face process. I cut a piece of pinkie-peach flesh material bigger than the face, so that I would have room to sew it on the head. I embroidered a new face on by hand with embroidery floss, and then pinned the face to the head. 




Next I sewed the face in place, all the way around, including the neck. I tucked the edge of the neck under and sewed it to the base of the neck.





Face transplant in process!




For the hands I traced the size of the hands up to the elbow with extra for seam allowance, sewed them together and pulled them over the existing hands. I then turned them under on the ends and hand sewed them to the arms.





The existing hair was left as is, because it was clean, but I used a doll needle with a large eye for yarn and looped in new hair all over the head, so you can't really see the old hair!  


So...... Nick and Nora are living happily ever after!
                         
                                           The End 








Sing Bluebird Sing!

Raw edge applique Bluebird Block You can find this Block here: https://www.craftsy.com/quilting/patterns/sing-b...